Thursday, 3 December 2009

Day 3. Learnt to play the gamelan


Today I played the gamelan for the first time.

So far, this is more musical than anticipated but I'll do other new things too soon.

Its a Javenese percussion instrument and I enjoyed learning to play along with 10 others from work. Its one instrument made of several different sections and makes an unusual sound with gongs, bonangs and drums building up the beat and melody.

After taking off our shoes and a quick intro name game (helping me learn names of those I see every day in my office but haven't ever spoken to), I headed straight to my instrument section of choice- what to me looked like big gold breasts but others refer to as more pot-like. They are actually called 'nong' and after some instruction to hit the golden 'nipples' with my mallet a little more gently (oops) I soon got into the swing of it and enjoyed an hour spent learning to play a piece with the rest of the group. Was good to focus and work together with others.

I also learnt how to play a chime bar like instrument (using my primary school orchestra skills once more) and all it all was a fun way to spend a lunchtime plus good colleague bonding...

No comments:

Post a Comment