Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Day 13. Made home made mulled wine

Today I was a festive domestic goddess and home made many festive things (for the first time).

I do love a bit of mulled wine and start drinking it from mid October if I have my way to get in the festive (drunken) spirit but usually I'll cheat and buy a bottle of mulled wine from the fiendish supermarket then chuck in a few extra bits of orange to make it look more home-made.

Well on Sunday Nigella, Delia and Kirsty would've been as proud as Christmas punch as I hosted a Christmas craftanoon with my flatmates and we made lots of festive treats with our own fair hands...not a Tesco bag in sight.

I discovered the joys of cloving up oranges (took rather a long time and a lot of cloves but the smell and taste was yum yum yum) and felt very wholesome as we brewed up cinammon sticks, brandy and spices in a vat.

We made salt dough decorations (notable creations included Emma's rather phallic baby Jesus), origami birds and pom poms to hand on the tree which we'd bought that day from the 'Christmas Forest' in Stoke Newington. Wasn't quite as magical a place as it sounds but when we discovered our beautiful tree was helping charities in Africa it made that warm Christmassy glow all the better...what a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment