
Today I ventured down into the depths of the Hayward Gallery for the first time to discover a lovely little art library and extensive archive collection down there.
I didn't even realise it was there until a new member of staff had visited it and shared that it was worth checking out.
A lovely lady called Pam kindly showed me around and introduced what is contained in the archives to me. Within the hundreds of labelled cardboard boxes there are over 60 years worth of documentation for all of the exhibitions held there and also more from the Arts Council and touring collections. It was quite exciting to think what goodies they'd contain inside and how much new information I could discover with a bit of exploration.
Now I have a new place to go on my lunchbreaks and can enjoy borrowing contemporary art and design books and reading cultural magazines and things on my breaks rather than the rubbish Metro. A rather splendid discovery- and silly that a brand new member of staff led me to know it was there...better late than never.
No comments:
Post a Comment