Wednesday, 30 December 2009

Day 23. Facilitated a family beatboxing battle

Gosh, a whole week of catch up to do. I have been a bit slack on this over the festive period but I'm going to kick back into action for 2010. I suppose it is rather good that I've been busy spending time with my family and friends so haven't had chance to update on here.

My last week's worth of firsts have not been outstanding as been Christmassing it up but bring in the New Year and I'm determined to carry on addressing the expanding list of truly challenging things...just you watch this space...

So, Day 23 was Christmas Eve Eve and an eventful day at work. We had a streetdance workshop followed by a beatboxing workshop and then to round off I hosted a performance by vocal acapella group The Magnets as they sang a medley of festive classic songs such as Blame it on the Boogie where I got to rekindle my talent for that dance routine, not performed with such enthusiasm since my 7th birthday party.

Witnessing the family beat boxing workshop, ending in an epic battle between two eager father-son duos, was something quite special. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no stranger to the old hipetty-hop and the power of the human voice box. I've seen 8 Mile. I've watched MTV. I used to be a big fan of Mis-Teeq in fact. I'm down with the kids and their street speak ghetto lingo...but this battle between two 8 year old boys and their father-figures was FIERCE. The mothers at home in prepping the turkey in the bath Nigella-style would've been proud as Christmas punch to see their boys on the mics.

I gladly joined in as we tried to spit our way through attempts at making 'p', 't' and 'ka' sound vaguely like proper beat boxing and I'm pleased to think that I assisted in helping hundreds of children discover whole new ways to annoy their families on long car journeys just in time for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment