Wednesday, 30 December 2009

Day 24. Bought picture books as an adult


On Christmas Eve, I enjoyed browsing the picture book section of Waterstones in hunt for some nice books to give to a 9 month old baby who was there at Christmas dinner this year. Childrens' fiction has always had a special place in my heart and it was fun to have an excuse to buy some. I chose a favourite of mine from pre-school, 'Each Peach, Pear Plum' by Janet and Allan Ahlberg and also a new picture book called 'Posy' about a mischievous kitten. I hope that Isobel enjoys the pictures, words and sounds over the years.

I went home and was thrilled to find my mum had found lots of my own old books and put them on display for me to rediscover. Judy Blumes, Jill Murphys, Roald Dahls.Jill Barklems, Enid Blytons. All of old friends were there.

Also, another first was that for the first time on Christmas Eve, I found myself not stressed and rushing around spending money pointlessly on gifts.

I did still upkeep the tradition of going shopping on Christmas eve but I kept to my intentions of making sure I didn't spend money for the sake of it and so instead kept presents either handmade, small tokens or things I actually liked myself and thought others would like. Not rocket science I realise but so many previous years I've ended up getting home after a stressful sprint from shop to shop at five to five to then get home

I didn't miss the adrenaline rush one bit and instead enjoyed a leisurely mulled wine with family as darkness fell instead and didn't feel guilty at spending so much money on tat.

No comments:

Post a Comment