Sunday, 10 January 2010

Day 41. Guerrilla knitted







Today I guerrilla knitted (or should that be knat?) for the first time.

I 'yarn stormed' a tree on Hackney Downs and am happy that I have now completed my first guerrilla knitting mission. It was freezing (my fingers struggled with the act of tying it up- like corseting a tree trunk) and my accomplice in crime did questioned my choice of doing such a task in the snow but I'm rather pleased with the results of bright knitting against white snow, enlivening the winter scene. It's like a scarf wrapped around the tree to warm it up.

As can be seen from the photos, I haven't covered the whole trunk but I stretched around my first piece of completed knitting, tying it together around the tree like I was doing up a corset. Creating the knitting itself involved several firsts: first time casting off, first time inventing a new stitch that created some interesting ruffles and holes, first time knitting on the tube...

I've been an admirer of guerrilla/urban knitting for last few years and will do more ambitious, bigger projects as soon as my knitting skills get up to speed. I've done guerrilla baking lots before so now I feel I'm rather like a domestic-street-art goddess!

I hope that my knitting stays there for a while. I hung some pom pom and origami birds from the tree's branches to decorate it too. I hope that the joggers, dog walkers and snow-players enjoy my first foray into the world of knitted graffiti.

3 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of guerilla knitting, it makes me smile :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, use the word 'knat'. It drives my husband bananas.

    Well done - I'm loving your project ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesomeness! BIG (crocheted) gold star for you

    ReplyDelete