Saturday, 27 February 2010

Day 81. Re-Visited Leamington Spa




Last Sunday I visited my friend Eva in her new house in Leamington Spa for the first time.

It was the first time I'd been back to the town in a very long time yet it was by no means the first time I'd been there. I spent a year living, working and volunteering there in a nearby village during my gap year at the tender age of 18. It was a really significant and challenging yet amazing year for me and I thought returning after so long may bring back lots of memories and nostalgia yet actually it felt rather odd and I felt quite detached from it as a place.

Perhaps I'd feel differently if I went back again in summer or spent longer there but it was odd to see the changes and to not feel as attached as I thought I would to it. I experienced many firsts in that town and it was real time of firsts in my life as I moved away from home for the first time, ventured into the world of working with young people and the arts as I'm still in and forged an independent identity away from all that was familiar to me. Exotic Warwickshire!

I fulfilled Josie's request for film footage on the way there and back by train. Was scary to work out this little trip was the first time I've ventured out of London in 7 whole months! How that happened I don't know but I'm determined never to let it go that long again. Not good....

Videos of my serene journey there and my cold, tiring journey back.

No comments:

Post a Comment