
I've been a bit rubbish at completing firsts over the last week or so, or at least I've been not very good at sharing them here or consciously ticking them off.
Life has been rather busy and tiring (exhausting actually) meaning that doing the basic things I need to do to get through the day has been trial enough yet alone trying to do new things on top of that.
I was moved to read Danny Wallace's weekly column in Shorlist though and his rather insightful and beautiful ponderings on the nature of firsts (along with lasts) on the birth of his first baby.
Here's what Daddy Wallace has to say:
"As I stand there, and as I pick him up, and as I hold him for the first time, and as I look into his eyes for the first time,and as I hold his and hand and I kiss him for the first time, I realise that this is a day of firsts and not a day of lasts, because out of nowhere I now know that life- the very best of life- is all about the firsts. Because the firsts are what matter. The firsts are worth looking forward to: the firsts are worth looking back on."
No comments:
Post a Comment