Thursday, 18 February 2010

Day 76. Went to a sexual health clinic


Following on from the lovely disappointment of Valentine's Day, I had many delightful first time experiences during my first time visit to a sexual health clinic on Monday morning. What a great way to start the week...

Sorry, not so lovely to share I know, but it was pretty much all I could claim to do that day as it left me in a bad mood. It was an experience of genuine firsts.

Unpleasant as the whole experience and reason for going is, it does strangely feel like a kind of rite of passage to have been to the clinic for a check up and it occurs to me that if I had been along to get a check up sooner then I wouldn't have to be having this early morning appointment now perhaps or suffer some of the other firsts I did for the first time (just one word:speculum). Who knows for sure.

Maybe I can blame 100 days for the reason for my first visit...as it was partially due to another first that I ended up there. But I think that is has made me a better person, as I've been to check on this area of my health and was overdue to do this. As with the other firsts on my list that still remain undone, it's easy not to do some and put them off and make excuses because of fear, nervousness and laziness.

I learnt many valuable things about STIs and sexual health for the first time and experienced for the first time the automated results phone line which I found most bizarre. As the lady read out the results it all sounded rather Eurovision and I kept expecting to hear:
"Gonorrhea...Deux points."

No comments:

Post a Comment