Monday, 8 February 2010

Day 67. Explored St John's, Waterloo





I have passed this church thousands of times as I come out of Waterloo station but never explored inside or discovered its peaceful grounds before.

I took up the invitation for a cup of tea with the vicar there to explore the crypt and discovered lots of interesting things lie within its doors. I particularly liked the mosaic workshop and the mosaic covered sculptures to be found in little labyrinths within its gardens. Come spring it'll be a good place to go and eat lunch in my breaks. It feels surprisinly tranquil despite being right next to the busy Imax roundabout.

I found out it was refurbished to coincide with 1951 Festival of Britain on the Southbank.

I liked the inspiring quote on the side of the church wall:
"All may have if they dare try and glorious life and grave."

No comments:

Post a Comment