Saturday, 13 February 2010

Day 74. Wore ear protection in a bar

Tonight, out for a friend's birthday, I realised I hadn't done anything new yet that day.

So I took suggestions. Someone pointed to a sign on the wall that said " Ear protection available at the bar" and on confirmation I hadn't been in public in ear protection before they swiftly went to get some for me.

I was slightly disappointed when they reappeared not with a pair of chunky, industrial earphones but actually a small packet of ear plugs.

I rolled them up and stuck them in my ears good and proper. I then kept them in for most of the night and the struggle to interact and follow conversation was really quite and odd and awkward experience. I was told I wasn't speaking loudly enough and a girl who tried to chat to me in the loos gave me an odd look when I replied to her.

I felt quite trapped in trying to have one to one conversations as I had to focus on them so much and couldn't enjoy tuning in to the surrounding chatter and be distracted/listen out for better discussions happening around me.

I misses jokes, felt boring and couldn't engage with people as I normally would have. It's given me more insight into what it may be like to have a hearing problem and yet I still had quite a lot of hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment