Last night I got crafty for the first time for Ladyfest Ten fundraiser Crafter Dark: Your Mum which I'd helped to organise and also visited the pub it was in (The Victoria, Mile End) for the first time and on the bus on the way got both lost and horribly violated by a stranger for the first time.
Some firsts you set out to do and choose. Other firsts are thrust upon you. Some good, some bad.
Yesterday's first time experience of The Victoria pub was wholly positive (and if I'd got on the right bus would've been a good direct route from my house, almost a new local) and it's good to know such a lovely establishment with an array of fun nights held weekly is in my area.
The first Crafter Dark event went well too- with some lovely people coming and happily beavering away in the nice ambience, going home sugared up by yummy home-baked cakes and with some ace hand-made heartfelt gifts for their mothers and others. A great start and first £160 odd quid raised towards affording this year's Ladyfest Ten festival.
I did NOT choose to be touched inappropriately by a stranger sat next to me on the bus and still feel rather angry, sullied and disturbed by the incident. How some people are so desperate and deluded to do such things and violate other people's personal space, bodies and selves is beyond my understanding and empathy almost. It was not a pleasant first but I know it could have been a lot worse. It motivates me to raise even more money to celebrate and promote women through events such as Ladyfest and its causes which champion women as independent, amazing artists and individuals and supports women's charities that combat abuse and degradation of which this personal incident was only a very small scale in worldwide context.
www.ladyfestten.com
No comments:
Post a Comment