
I tried kamaboko for the first time.
After working a twelve hour day, my managers kindly agreed I could claim a free takeaway from Wagamama and in my ramen came several new Japanese ingredients I'd not encountered before. I've since discovered that the 2 unidentified floating objects in my broth were kamaboko and dory. Yes, dory as in the finding Nemo fish voiced by Ellen DeGeneres.
Kamaboko is also apparently known as 'fish sausage'. Hmmmm. I shall stick to the Japanese. You can also get it with faces and characters such as Hello Kitty running through its slices. Nice.
According to wikipedia:
"Kamaboko (蒲鉾?) is a type of cured surimi, a Japanese processed seafood product, in which various white fish are pureed, combined with additives such as MSG, formed into distinctive loaves, and then steamed until fully cooked and firm. The steamed loaves are then sliced and served unheated (or chilled) with various dipping sauces or sliced and included in various hot soups, one-dish meals, or noodle dishes. Kamaboko is typically sold in semicylindrical loaves. Some kamaboko include artistic patterns, such as the pink spiral on each slice of naruto kamaboko, named after the well-known tidal whirlpool near the Japanese city of Naruto."
Mmmmm, not so sure I'll be a regular eater of it now I've read that description but it added to a tasty free meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment